One Big Happy...family
We are the little sister of Missouri Star Quilt Co., the famed quilting company run by the lovable Jenny Doan. For the past 10 years, a few of us passionate “fiber artists” that work for the company have been sulking around the office, lamenting: “I wish there was a Missouri Star for knitting and crochet”. In fall 2020, we finally decided to make it happen and “One Big Happy” was born.
Like our sister, we are completely obsessed with our craft and believe that creativity begets joy. We’re one big happy family, and we hope to create one big happy place to visit. We’re committed to bringing you the best supplies, free help and inspiration— plus a lot (a lot, a lot) of happiness & joy along the way. Whether you visit our store in Hamilton, MO, or shop our website, we hope to be your favorite Local Yarn Store.
Here at One Big Happy, we believe:
1. Everyone is welcome. Crocheters, Knitters, yarn collectors, people who only finish one sock, newbies, experts, etc. The more the merrier.
2. Finished is better than perfect. Mistakes are part of the process.
3. Everyone can have a local yarn store, even if it's not in their back yard.
4. There are a lot of extremely serious things in life; but knitting and crocheting aren’t one of them. This should be FUN!
5. Unless the house is on fire, no one should be interrupted while counting rows.
6.Squishing, petting, and brushing yarn against your face are absolutely normal behaviors.
7. Stash-building is NOT a dangerous form of hoarding; it’s an optimistic outlook and investment in your future.
More Goodies on the Way
We barely just cast on this project, so please keep in touch to see where we’re going! . For now, we’ve picked some of our favorite yarns & notions to tempt you, but we have big plans for more on the way, including:
- Free Video Tutorials
- Patterns and Kits
- A Retail Location in Hamilton, MO
- Community Events
- Exclusive Designs
- ...and more
We want to be your LYS, so If you have any ideas, we’d love to hear them.
The local yarn store, or the LYS, is the backbone of our craft community. There is no better feeling than walking into a yarn store and immediately being enveloped by all the things you love. This sense of belonging is hard to articulate, but it feels like home. We love local yarn shops, and hope to be yours if you’re in the neighborhood.
But we also want everyone to have that place, that feeling, that community; whether or not we’re geographically close. We know that access to the yarn and supplies you love empowers you to be creative! That’s why we made our web shop and free tutorial videos (coming soon!) just for you. Near or far, we hope every time you shop with us, you feel as delighted as a kid in a candy store.
Our retail location is in Hamilton, MO—just down the street from Missouri Star and Nancy’s Notions. While Covid-19 has slowed our progress in building out the physical space, we’re working diligently to get it ready for you. We can’t wait to celebrate with a grand opening once it’s safe to do so. It’ll be a treat!